Hello, my name is Mary Ann Nicholson. I am running for Dane County Executive on 4/6/2021.
I am running as an Independent on the ballot.
I have been a resident of Dane County and Verona, Wisconsin since 1969. Born in Dodgeville, I attended Ridgeway Elementary until February 1969 when our family moved to Verona. I am a proud Verona High School graduate of the Class of 1978. Married to my very patient husband Ron for 31 years, I am the proud step-parent of two boys and 5 grandchildren. Ron and I have made our home in the Town of Springdale for these past 31 years.
Like many in Verona, my working career started at Miller & Son’s Supermarket. After graduation, I worked for the American Society of Agronomy for 18 years. During that time I obtained an Associates Degree in Accounting from Madison Junior College of Business while working full time. In 2007, I decided to go back to night school. In 2009, I earned my Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting from Upper Iowa University graduating Summa Cum Laude. I am currently the Controller for KSW Construction Corporation.
Volunteer, Time & Treasure Experience:
When not working, I enjoy working in our perennial beds and helping around the homestead. I am a member of St Michael the Archangel Parish in Mt Horeb, WI. For the past 10 years I have found a passion for exercising i.e., running, biking, swimming and triathlon. I have run five marathons, two of which were in Chicago, and have completed a number of Sprint and Olympic distance Triathlons. I was training to compete in my first Ironman distance triathlon this past September but COVID had a different idea. If all works out, I hope to compete next September in Ironman WI. On those days on which I just need to chill out - I love to create by doing different crafts, especially crocheting.
Extensive Private Sector Accounting Experience:
▪ Financial Statements
▪ General Ledger Accounting
▪ Account Reconciliations and Audits
▪ Accounts Payable and Receivable
▪ Cash Management
▪ Fixed Asset Processing and Reporting
▪ Inventory Reporting
▪ Payroll and All Payroll Reporting
▪ Budgeting and Variance Reporting
▪ Monthly Sales & Use Tax Reporting
▪ Employee Commission Reports
▪ External Yearly Audit Prep
▪ Year End and Month End Close
▪ Benefit Administration & COBRA Processing
▪ Associates Degree in Accounting – Madison Jr. College of Business – May 1993
▪ Bachelor of Science - Accounting - Upper Iowa University-Summa Cum Laude - Oct 2009
NOTE: Returning Adult/Non-Traditional Student Degree Work (B.S. - Accounting) Completed While Working Full-Time
KSW Construction Corporation
• Controller – May 2017 to Present
• Staff Accountant – Dec 2006 to May 2008
BioFerm Energy Systems
• Staff Accountant – Feb 2016 to May 2017
L. W. Allen, Inc.
• Staff Accountant – May 2011 to Feb 2017
Forward Service Corporation
• Senior Grant Accountant – May 2008 to Apr 2011
Joe Daniels Construction Company, Inc.
• Bookkeeper – Sep 2000 to Dec 2006
Four Winds Manor, Inc.
• Bookkeeper/Office Manager – Mar 1999 to Sep 2000
American Society of Agronomy
• Full Charge Bookkeeper – Apr 1985 to Mar 1999
• Clerk Typist – May 1980 to April 1985
Miller & Sons Grocery Store – Jun 1977 to May 1980