Hello, my name is Mary Ann Nicholson. I am running for Dane County Executive on 4/6/2021.
I am running as an Independent on the ballot.
I have been a resident of Dane County and Verona, Wisconsin since 1969. Born in Dodgeville, I attended Ridgeway Elementary until February 1969 when our family moved to Verona. I am a proud Verona High School graduate of the Class of 1978. Married to my very patient husband Ron for 31 years, we made our home together in the town of Springdale for more than three decades. I am the proud step-parent of two boys and 5 grandchildren.
Like many in Verona, my working career started at Miller & Son’s Supermarket. After graduation, I worked for the American Society of Agronomy for 18 years. During that time I obtained an Associates Degree in Accounting from Madison Junior College of Business while working full time. In 2007, I decided to go back to night school. In 2009, I earned my Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting from Upper Iowa University graduating Summa Cum Laude. I am currently the Controller for KSW Construction Corporation.
Volunteer, Time & Treasure Experience:
When not working, I enjoy working in our perennial beds and helping around the homestead. I am a member of St Michael the Archangel Parish in Mt Horeb, WI. For the past 10 years I have found a passion for exercising i.e., running, biking, swimming and triathlon. I have run five marathons, two of which were in Chicago, and have completed a number of Sprint and Olympic distance Triathlons. I was training to compete in my first Ironman distance triathlon this past September but COVID had a different idea. If all works out, I hope to compete next September in Ironman WI. On those days on which I just need to chill out - I love to create by doing different crafts, especially crocheting.
Extensive Private Sector Accounting Experience:
▪ Financial Statements
▪ General Ledger Accounting
▪ Account Reconciliations and Audits
▪ Accounts Payable and Receivable
▪ Cash Management
▪ Fixed Asset Processing and Reporting
▪ Inventory Reporting
▪ Payroll and All Payroll Reporting
▪ Budgeting and Variance Reporting
▪ Monthly Sales & Use Tax Reporting
▪ Employee Commission Reports
▪ External Yearly Audit Prep
▪ Year End and Month End Close
▪ Benefit Administration & COBRA Processing
▪ Associates Degree in Accounting – Madison Jr. College of Business – May 1993
▪ Bachelor of Science - Accounting - Upper Iowa University-Summa Cum Laude - Oct 2009
NOTE: Returning Adult/Non-Traditional Student Degree Work (B.S. - Accounting) Completed While Working Full-Time
KSW Construction Corporation
• Controller – May 2017 to Present
• Staff Accountant – Dec 2006 to May 2008
BioFerm Energy Systems
• Staff Accountant – Feb 2016 to May 2017
L. W. Allen, Inc.
• Staff Accountant – May 2011 to Feb 2017
Forward Service Corporation
• Senior Grant Accountant – May 2008 to Apr 2011
Joe Daniels Construction Company, Inc.
• Bookkeeper – Sep 2000 to Dec 2006
Four Winds Manor, Inc.
• Bookkeeper/Office Manager – Mar 1999 to Sep 2000
American Society of Agronomy
• Full Charge Bookkeeper – Apr 1985 to Mar 1999
• Clerk Typist – May 1980 to April 1985
Miller & Sons Grocery Store – Jun 1977 to May 1980